RHCS Inquiry-based Learning ApproachContemporary Learning Experience
At Red Hill Consolidated School we are passionate about providing our students with the best possible learning experiences. Our Contemporary Learning Experience underpins everything we do.
The Contemporary Learning Experience is a modern approach to teaching, learning and curriculum that is in line with best practices from around the world.
Pedagogical features of the Contemporary Learning Experience at Red Hill Consolidated School are learning experiences include:
- a learning environment that is student centered and involves learning through social interaction.
- transparent and articulated learning goals and intentions.
- classroom and school wide learning agreements for all students.
- teachers learning with and alongside students in partnership with shared assessment and co-‐developed expectations.
- technology rich learning experiences.
- students being actively engaged in and reflecting on an experience.
- students learning by building on what they already know.
- students developing higher-‐order thinking through guidance at critical points in the learning process.
- recognition that students have different ways of learning.
- cognitively appropriate forms of instruction.
Red Hill Consolidated School has articulated four key Learner Assets that we believe are essential to a contemporary learner. These Learner Assets were developed after close exploration of a range of texts around 21st Century Learning skills and were strongly influenced by the implementation of the Victorian Curriculum, capabilities in 2016.
In 2017 Red Hill Consolidated School launched its four learner assets. They are Collaborator, Thinker, Self-Manager and Inquirer. These assets have been directly linked to outcome statements in the Victorian Curriculum, however we see far greater application for these assets.
Our Learner Assets have been mapped and aligned across the curriculum to ensure equal coverage of each asset in a targeted manner across the school year. Teachers use the Learner Assets both as a focus skill to develop within a learning experience and also regularly as part of a split-screen learning intention strategy.
Learner Assets are a powerful tool for expanding students meta-cognitive practices.
Learner Explorations are essential to the Contemporary Learner Experience at RHCS. Learning Explorations are a unit of inquiry developed with close correlation to the essential understandings and skills required by Victorian Curriculum.
The four key learning explorations are “World Views”, “Sustainability Matters”, “Human Discovery, Innovation and Exploration” and “Understanding Ourselves”.
Some information here.